Face2Face: When We Welcome the Stranger We Welcome Jesus
We’ve invested the last 8 weeks examining the ways Jesus welcomed people who weren’t seen as ‘safe’ or as being ‘too risky’ – people the NT referred to as ‘strangers’
What we’ve seen is that Jesus modeled a way of life marked by compelling curiosity, hospitality and love for the stranger.
We’ve looked at 8 stories of Jesus welcoming a wide spectrum of people …
* people across the boundaries of our deeply rooted and generational prejudices
* people who have hurt us in the past
* people with lifelong struggles/suffering
* people facing devastating moments
* people in their sexual brokenness
* people who step into our lives in surprising ways
* people who walk away from us and Christ
* people who are our enemies
Throughout this series we’ve looked at the stranger through the lens of how we bless and benefit the stranger when we welcome them into our lives:
* Treat people with dignity and kindness
* Listen to their story
* Respond to real/felt needs in generous ways
* Extend compassion, understanding, grace, mercy
We display the love of Christ in personal ways with the hope that the kindness shown in welcoming them might invite them to consider and welcome Christ.
In this final study I’d like us to look at it through a different lens …
The ways the stranger we welcome into our lives may bless and benefit us …
Inspire and challenge us to push beyond realm of ideas to change the ways we live … from thinking better to living better.